2010-09-02

Reported Speech - How to do it -1- statement

OK, after trying to teach you "Reported Speech" for 3 weeks, I'll try to do it again - this time in my English blog.

statement ('normal' sentence)
blogentry for you to download

If you have to put direct speech into indirect/reported speech, there are two differences:

1. If the beginning is in present tense
('Harry says'), then there is no time-shift and the tense of the direct speech stays the same in indirect/reported speech.
 

example:
direct speech: Harry: "I live at home."
indirect speech: Harry says that he lives at home.

2. If the beginning is in past tense ('Harry said'), then there is a time-shift and the tense of the direct speech is NOT the same as in indirect/reported speech.


example:
direct speech: Harry: "I live at home."
indirect speech: Harry said that he lived at home.


The time-shift is as follows:
shift in tense
from to
Present Simple Past Simple
Past Simple Past Perfect
Present Perfect
Past Perfect
will would
progressive forms
am/are/is was/were
was/were had been
has/have been
had been


example
shift in tense
from to
Harry: "I live at home." Harry said that he lived at home.
Harry: "I lived at home." Harry said that he had lived at home.
Harry: "I have lived at home."
Harry: "I had lived at home."
Harry: "I will live at home." Harry said that he would live at home.
progressive forms
Harry: "I am living at home." Harry said that he was living at home.
Harry: "I was living at home." Harry said that he had been living at home.
Harry: "I have been living at home."
Harry: "I had been living at home."

If there are time words, e.g. yesterday, you have to change them as well.

example:
Harry: "I was at home yesterday."
Harry said that he had been at home the day before.

List of changes
this (evening) that (evening)
today/this day that day
these (days) those (days)
now then
(a week) ago (a week) before
last weekend the weekend before / the previous weekend
here there
next (week) the following (week)
tomorrow the next/following day


No comments:

Post a Comment