2010-08-29

Why I became an English teacher

I know that I am repeating myself when I say: "English is a wonderful and simple language especially compared to my mothertounge German."
I've said that in the classroom several times but I guess it can never be too often.

I chose to become a teacher and for me it was absolutely clear from the very beginning that English will be my subject. I fell in love with England and the English language when I first went to England in 1982. I travelled with the scouts to Godalming and Sterling (Scotland) and I got to know a lot of very different people in those 10 days in 1982. All of them were very friendly and tried so hard to understand what I had to say ... guess what? It worked - not because of my horribe English - despite of it. And because of that experience I changed my whole outlook towards the school subject English - I actually enjoyed working for it.

On my journey to become the teacher I am today there were several bumps on my ride ... first I was shocked to learn that my school-English wouldn't hold up to my professor's expectations then I found out for myself that I should NOT be a primary teacher but everything worked out in the end.

I really enjoyed my teaching experience in Guildford/Surrey and I was amazed about my personal progress in getting the hang of the language.

If my love for the English language comes across to my pupils I will be delighted.

Take care

HN

No comments:

Post a Comment